Monday, February 18, 2013

Chris Shaw Soundgarden Oakland Poster Release Details


Details from Chris Shaw :

Soundgar­den silkscreen poster by Chris Shaw
Wednes­day, Feb­ru­ary 13, 2013
Fox The­ater – Oak­land, CA
6 Col­ors on 20″ x 33″ Cougar stock
Edi­tion of 250
Signed & Numbered

I was thrilled to do this poster. I love Soundgar­den, its a local show, and bet­ter, it meant I got to work with my good pal Chuck Sperry printin’ at Hangar 18. This is the sec­ond of a pair of posters for Soundgarden’s Oak­land shows at the Fox on the 12th and 13th of Feb. The first poster is a beauty by Chuck that can be seen at www.chucksperry.net

Chuck and I decided on some col­lab­o­ra­tion to make the 2 posters a loose pair – though an odd pair they may be. After decid­ing on a size, color for­mat, and a gen­eral theme riff­ing on Soundgarden’s “King Ani­mal” album title, we both sim­ply did our thing.

My poster’s image is The Madonna of the Squid. Mod­ern Icons are a theme I’ve worked with for a long time, mainly with paint­ings, but occa­sion­ally they make it onto rock posters as well. I con­ceived a Giant Squid incor­po­rated into a clas­sic ortho­dox Madonna. Chuck was work­ing with ideas about power, priv­i­lege and State. My image is about the many ten­ta­cles of the Church. Church & State. Its not intended to be a dark piece or brash polit­i­cal state­ment, but, like most of my work there’s some under­ly­ing metaphors. I won’t get into it deeply here, how­ever, I will say that I don’t par­tic­u­larly like squids and sea mon­sters, yet they fas­ci­nate me.

The screen­print siz­zles with 6 col­ors, includ­ing gold and sil­ver, cre­at­ing some killer metal­lic color effects. I also used a trans­par­ent black ink for the black plate which brings out some deep tones and tex­tures with the under­ly­ing ink lay­ers. Many of the metal­lic tex­tures and mez­zot­ints were cre­ated by hand with wax on old-school blue­line, the piece has a real ana­log feel. A big thanks to Chuck for his exper­tise and alchemy to make this print look great.

On sale today at a random time at ChrisShawStudio.com after 12PM PST. For those of you not use to his site, a buy button will appear below each poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in